Monday, May 09, 2005

Ambushed

Saturday afternoon found me running around getting ready for *gasp* a wedding. I was in the Safeway parking lot when I heard my name being shouted from a car in the lot. I turned around to see J & T. T was my ex’s best friend in college and J was a friend of mine from work. The ex and I introduced them to each other while on a weekend at my family’s cabin about 3 years ago.

Sidebar: Every couple the ex and I ever hung out with while we were dating are now happily married or engaged. We were the only ones who came to a Hindenburg-like ending.

The conversation was as follows:
J: I haven’t talked to you in ages! How are you?
KC: I’m great! How are you guys?
J: Good! Just busy with work and going back and forth to see each other. (They live about 2 hours from one another.)
T: Hey, is C with you?
KC: ***hard blinking coupled with nervous laugh*** Uh, no. He’s not with me.
T: So ya left him at home, huh?
KC: Not exactly. We broke up over a year ago.
J: Oh, you’re kidding.
T: What? I haven’t heard from him in that long but I just thought he was busy with you. So what’s going on with him?
KC: I don’t know. I haven’t talked to him since the night we broke up.
J: ***desperate attempt to change subject*** So what else is going on? You look great!
T: So you haven’t talked to him at all?
KC: Nope.
J: ***attempt #2*** You look tan!
KC: Yeah, I just got back from Mexico.
T: That kid is fucked up! I wonder what’s going on with him….
J: T!!!
KC: It was great seeing you guys. I’m headed to a wedding so I’d better get going.
J: Call me soon and we’ll have lunch. **Translation: Clearly, we need to catch up!**


I got to my car and laughed about the fact that I ran into them since neither lives anywhere near my neighborhood. I started to pull out of my parking space and glanced in the rear view mirror. HORROR! It was then that I remembered that I’d left the house with a wet head and no make-up. We were all staying at the Brown Palace downtown so I figured I’d get ready there. The stop at Safeway was simply for provisions such as tonic, limes, Doritos, chips and salsa, mini Snickers and queso dip. Thankfully, I’d thrown on my super-cute white capris and a black t-shirt so my clothing was ok but the hair and the face…oh my, the hair and the face. I was wearing my Jackie O sunglasses so perhaps that had covered most of my naked face. Not that I wear a ton of make up but I look a whole lot better when the eyelashes are curled, the Nars blush in Orgasm is on the cheeks and the lips have some Air Kiss gloss on them.

I imagined T calling C and saying, “Dude, I just ran into KC. You got out just in time. She’s really let herself go. She was walking through the Safeway parking lot with no make-up and wet hair, carrying a bad full of Doritos, snickers and limes. It was sad, man.”

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yuck! Nothing more fun than that...but I'm sure they thought you were just beautimus. :) At least you hadnt just come out of the gym or something...that's always fun.