Thursday, May 05, 2005

Beantown

It's no secret that I love living in CO and can't really see myself anywhere else but if I did ever leave, it may be for Boston. It's such a great city and being there for 3 days was such fun. Let me amend that last statement - all was fun except for the driving. I had to rent a car for this trip which I'd never done in Boston before and after the last three days, I may never do again. I got lost more times that I care to admit. I'm quite certain that the majority of driving Bostonians were irritated/annoyed/appauled/terrified/livid by my driving. I got lost going to my hotel which was in Quincy. That trip should have been 30-40 minutes from the airport. It took me 2 1/2 hours. Not kidding. I got lost going to a meeting which should have taken 10 minutes. It's took me 40 minutes. I got lost going back to the airport from the city yesterday. I pulled over to ask a police officer who was standing on a corner. When I asked where the Ted Williams tunnel was his reply was, "You can't pahk they-ah. Move ya gawd-damn cah."

Allrighty then!

I had a few hours yesterday before my flight so I headed to the city. I had lunch in the North End with Laura which was wonderful! And we went to Mike's Pastry for treats as well. We also wandered around Faneuil Hall and did some shopping. Overall a fun way to spend an afterrnoon.

A few observation from a Colorado girl in Boston...
1) Kitten heels and cobblestone do not mix.
2) Smiling at people on the street, in the elevator, while waiting in line for your Dunkin Donuts coffee, etc will only get you odd stares as though people are thinking, "Did this girl ride the short bus to Boston? "
3) Three hours of parking in the city will run you roughly $28.00. "Are you freakin kidding me?", as a response will not change that fact.
4) Cars will actually speed up when they see you in the crosswalk. Move fast.
5) Street signs in Boston are small and virtually undetectable until you find yourself zooming past the street onto which you were supposed to have turned.
6) Beautiful men eat lunch in the North End.
7) Have your cash ready upon arrival of the toll booth at the Ted Williams Tunnel. They seem to get annoyed when you're fumbling with your purse and phone and Diet Coke.
8) Eat a lobster roll...maybe even two.
9) Should you find yourself headed to Quincy and nearing the Cape, you've gone too far. Turn around and tell no one of your mistake.
10) When asking for directions in Boston, be prepared to hear about landmarks and traffic lights...no one uses street names when giving directions.

1 comment:

Laura said...

its a requirement to be irritated/annoyed/appauled/terrified/livid while driving in boston, so you fit in just perfect my dear. The only thing you may not know, is if you move here, your name would be Kender, not Kendra anymore. :)