Sunday, October 16, 2005

Super Soup Supper

When I was younger, some friends of our family would have a soup supper every year. Ben and Lori (aforementioned friends) were amazing cooks and would make a variety of soups for everyone. Everyone invited would come and sample all the soups and the only requirement was that those in attendance bring canned goods to donate to the soup kitchen.

I always thought it was such a fun event so Wednesday night was my 1st Annual Super Soup Supper. Because I'm not capable of making that many soups by myself, I required my guest to bring a homemade soup and canned goods. What? I'm only one woman! Holding down a full time and raising a stubborn dog really doesn't leave much time for making that many soups. And besides, I don't own that many stockpots.

I got out of a meeting a bit late on Wednesday night so when I got home, I went straight to work on my Italian Wedding Soup. I was up to my elbows (literally) in meatballs when I cousin showed up with the wine. She opened the bottle while I chopped the endive. Liz showed up a few minutes later and started her soup. We pretty much had my counters covered when Meghan and Molly arrived. Meghan had a crockpot of chowder and Molly put her pot of tortilla soup on the stove. My kitchen was at full capacity when Shawn showed up with her winter stew. Pretty soon, my house was filled with warm smells and Barley was walking around with his nose in the air trying to take it all in.

I'd picked up disposable bowls and spoons so that everyone had a fresh bowl and spoon for each soup. We tried each soup and like a bunch of little food critics, made comments after each one.

"Ohhh! I love this one! The flavor is so good!"

"So you can make the toritilla soup as spicy as you'd like, right?





"So what all did you put in the pizza soup?"

"This stew would be awesome in a bread bowl!"

"This chowder is so good!"

"Do the meatballs have bread in them?"

Five bowls of soup (per person) and two bottles of wine (not per person) later, we were all warm and happy. Everyone insisted that they were stuffed and couldn't possibly eat another thing but when I brought out the cookies, everyone managed to have a few...once they got past the trusty watch dog.



(This may be my most favorite picture of Barley. Ever.)

I told everyone to bring Tupperware for the leftoevers so we split up what was left and began the task of cleaning up.

Once everyone had their soups and had left their donations for the food bank, I sat on the couch with the last glass of wine. The house still smelled awesome and Barley was asleep at my feet, exhausted from all of his begging. The diswashers was humming quietly in the kitchen as I dozed off on the couch. I woke up around midnight and went upstairs to bed.

I'm no expert, but I'd say the 1st Annual Super Soup Supper was a success. Can't wait for next year's event...in the meantime, I've got some leftovers to hold me over.

10 comments:

Miladysa said...

Warmed the cockels of my heart!

Is Barley cute or what?! :)

Marissa said...

what a great idea!! I am so glad it was such a success!

Beth said...

Barley and I are having the same thoughts re: those cookies.

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

Have the blogging commenting and its over-repeating ways.

Beth said...

Meant "Hate," not "Have."

Perhaps I should start drinking coffee.

JillWrites said...

Sounds yummy.

Cheryl said...

What a great idea! I love it. Have many mroe Super Soup Suppers!