Monday, December 19, 2005

Island in the Sun

The moment I walked in the door I saw him smiling at me. He was taller than I remembered and I had to stand on my tippy-toes to hug him. He had already ordered a beer for me and had correctly chosen the right brand although he had the advantage of knowing why ordering any other brand would have been foolish. We waited for our table near the bar and tried to catch up on the last ten years of our lives. He estimated that it had been about five years since we’d seen one another. I thought it had been longer but he reminded me of a dinner at his mother’s house. It wouldn’t be the only time during the evening in which his memory was more accurate than mine.

When you’re on a holiday
You can’t find the words to say
All the things that come to you
And I want to be there too


We got our table and the conversation came easily. We did the standard first date dance but the footwork was easier than usual because there was a history there. Our lives had intersected over the years because of our families; this was the first of our own doing.

When you’re on a golden sea
You don’t need no memory
Just a place to call your own
As we drift into the zone


We ate our burgers and shared a basket of fries. I’d chosen the venue because I wanted it to be low-key and simple. I was hoping the date would be the same. Weezer played in the background as frat boys tossed darts at the board and silly lines at sorority girls who would fall for them.

He told me about Virginia and home improvements and his decision to come back to Colorado. I told him about law school and sitting on a beach in Spain and my decision to come back to Colorado. Before long, four hours had passed. There were no awkward silences and no checking of watches. He made it clear that he wants to see me again. I tried to not wonder why.

We’ll run away together
We’ll spend some time forever
We’ll never feel bad anymore…


He put his hand on the small of my back as we walked out the door. It made me smile because so many guys would never even think to do that and so many girls would tell you how nice it is when it’s done. We walked to my car in the freezing cold and enjoyed the lights that were strung on fences in the neighborhood.

“This is me,” I said as we came to my car.
“It was so good to see you again. Can I take you to dinner before you leave next week?”

On an island in the sun
We’ll be playin and havin fun
And it makes me feel so fine I can’t control my brain

I shivered as I said yes. He leaned down and gave me a hug. I could feel his breath on my cheek and I shivered again.

10 comments:

Sass said...

HOLY!


let me say first, I know you saying "yes" to dinner was the hardest three letters you uttered in the last year

it's those small gestures of the hand on the small of the back or the boyish smile a man gave me in the middle of a crowd that make me go limp . . . that's everything.

Amber said...

I'm pretty sure Sass knows you!

I'm glad that things went so well and I have a feeling that they will continue to go well...don't forget that you can take his good manners at face value because, astonishingly, not all men are asses. I know, I know, it's hard to believe. But true!

Okie said...

note to self: periodically place hand on small of woman's back while passing through door.

thanks for the tip

Laura said...

ahhhhhh! So fun! How exciting. I love how you worked Weezer in there too - nicely done :). Can't wait to hear about the next one.

Whinger said...

Please email me the details of who this person is.
Am now dying of curiosity. Dying. How tragic if I died during the holidays.

Kyahgirl said...

I feel like a bit of a voyeur but that sounded like a fantastic date! Good for you.
Isn't that funny about the hand on the small of the back?

BB said...

Smooov. Very Smooov. I'm proud of you for "getting out there" again. Brave girl! ;) Glad it went well.

Marissa said...

Kendra!!!!!!! AMAZING! This post gave me shivers. I am so happy for you. This sounds like it was a wonderful evening, and I can't wait for the next date. Also, you're right on with the small of the back move - it's such a simple gesture that means so much. Anyway, I'm SO happy for you!!!

Cheryl said...

Aw, what a great date! I am so happy for you! And so happy you said yes. I know it's hard to do sometimes, but good for you. I can't wait to hear about the next one!

Kiki said...

Yes!! That's awesome.