Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Joy of Text

It’s 7:38a.m. and I’m driving west on Highway 58. I’m dreading the meeting I’m headed to and I’m very sad that I didn’t have time to get coffee. The music on the radio sucks and I can’t reach my cds in the backseat. The morning is not shaping up as I had hoped. And then…

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Ding, ding, ding.

I reach into my purse and pull out my cell phone. I glance at the screen, see the envelope icon and I smile.

======================
I’m only sending this
because you love them…
I still don’t like text msgs. :)
======================

I laugh and suddenly my day is a little better.

The night before I’d been talking to one of my friends from college and we got into the discussion of text messaging. She’s not a fan of text messaging. I’m a huge fan of it and tried to explain to her that I love them because it’s just nice to know someone is thinking of you. She didn’t really seem to get it and it got me to thinking about why I love text messaging so much.

Here are just a few reasons…

This past summer I was headed to Michigan to see the fam. I’d been traveling a lot for work and had told a friend how much I missed being home. As I stepped off the plane in Lansing, I turned my phone on and saw the envelope. There was a gorgeous picture of a sunset and the mountains and the message read:

================
You should have seen
that sunset with your own eyes.
Wish you were here.
================
Reasons this text message was wonderful: 1) The sender used John Mayer lyrics (although in 3x5 it was a sunrise), 2) it had a pic too and we all know how I feel about pics, 3) it let me know that even though I was far away, someone was thinking about me.

It was 2:44a.m. and I was sound asleep until the buzzing and dinging started. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and squinted through my wild case of bed-head to my phone.
===============

This is payback for all
the times u drunk dialed me.
===============
I laughed and as I set down my phone, another message came through.
===============
P.S. It’s been too long
since one of those calls.
Call me soon...
===============

Last week when things for me were as dark as they’d been in a long time, I got a text that read:

===============
R u ok? I’m here if you
need me. Love you.
===============

It was from my sister, Karlie. It made me cry but of all the tears I shed last week, those were the ones that accompanied a smile.

There may be some of you who aren’t fans of text messages but after those stories, I don’t know how that’s possible. So go ahead - reach out, reach out and text someone…

14 comments:

Sass said...

The pay back text message made me laugh. We really could be twins, my sisters name is Carlin - very close to Karlie.

Tim Hillegonds said...

Aww, so sweet. Very nice.

Okie said...

I've never sent a single text message. Maybe I'll try it now.

Whinger said...

I don't know if it could surpass my love of the email....

Marissa said...

I totally agree with you - I'm a huge fan of text messaging. You're so right, it just lets you know someone is thinking of you. Plus, I'm a terrible phone-talker, so texting is a great way to get in touch when you just don't feel like chatting.

Cheryl said...

I love text messages too. I'd rather get one than a phone call!

Laura said...

I too am a lover of the text message! The one about the sunset, perfect. Ryan hates them too but even he managed to send one the first night he left for law school that said "i wish you were here" except it was in ALL CAPS BECAUSE HE WAS THAT MUCH OF A ROOKIE HE COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE IT.

KatieDid It said...

I'm an addict. On the off nights when Michael and I sleep apart, I am frequently woken in the middle of the night by the telltale beep. The message will say something cutie like "Miss you, doll face. I need to see you in the morning." Aww.
I have a camera phone... I tried to send pics to Laura but it won't work! Whyyyeee. Waaaa.

KC said...

Sass - I love your sister's name - it's gorgeous!
Timmortal - what can I say? I'm a sucker for the text.
Okie - It's time to jump on the bandwagon my friend.
Whinger - you'd need a cell phone in order for it to pass the email love.
Marissa - I'm a fan of texting when drunk in a bar that doesn't get good cell reception. It's a great tool for trying to meet up with blogging buddies. :)
Cheryl - Seriously, isn't there something just fabulous about it?
La - He's such a sweet boy. And I love the all caps!
Kate - you and Laura are killing me with the boyfriend cuteness. That's a good man you have there. :)

Okie said...

Sell out.

dasi said...

I've signed up for daily texts just so I can be sure to get them... and it's kind of cool reading my horoscope on my phone... (I know, Loser with a capital "L"!!)

Bird On A Line said...

I like TMs too, but the 10 cents each adds up! :)

Miladysa said...

"I’m only sending this
because you love them…
I still don’t like text msgs. :)"

Wonderful! :)

Kyahgirl said...

I love email. I'm sure I could come to love TMs too but I'm resistant to change :-)