Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Birthday Wish

So I've been gone forever and now I'm here asking for a favor. Could I be any more rude? Nope, don't think so. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I want to tell you guys about a little project I've got going.

My birthday is coming up next week - the big 3-4. My mom and I were chatting on the phone and she asked if I had any ideas for presents. I couldn't come up with anything so told her I would think about it and get back to her. So I thought for a few days and couldn't think of a single thing I needed. I'm very fortunate to be at a really good place in life where my wants are few and the ones I have aren't really the kind that can be purchased and wrapped up. Unless someone can get Josh Jackson to leave that blond, get him on a plane to Denver and then put a bow on him. But I digress... Anyway, last night I was watching the Do Something Awards on VH1. Alyssa Milano won an award for the raising nearly $100,000 via Twitter to donate to an organization called charity: water which raises money to build freshwater wells in developing countries. After doing some research to ensure that the organization wasn't being run by Bernie Madoff or anything, I decided that I wanted to get involved.

My goal is to raise $5,000 which will fund one freshwater well. I'm asking my friends and family to skip birthday presents this year and donate to the fund. And now I'm going to ask perfect strangers to do the same. (Not that any blog readers would buy me presents, nor would I expect them, obvs. ) But I know I have some awesome readers who might just be feeling generous. I also know this is a lousy time to be asking for funds of any kind, what with the craptastic economy and such, so any amount would be appreciated.

Here's the link to my campaign if you're interested in donating or learning more about the organization:

http://mycharitywater.org/kendra_bday_wish

1 comment:

hello haha narf said...

my 39th birthday was the 5th and i asked for all money to go to a wonderful charity that raised money to help parents who have children that die suddenly (drowning, accidents, etc.). while i don't have kids, i know a great man who lost his son to a drowning in a swimming pool and it is simply heartbreaking. ANYhow, it made my birthday so much better to know that my being born was making a difference somewhere. i'm thankful your birthday will also be a gift to strangers as well as to those who have the pleasure of knowing you.

happy, happy birthday.

p.s. it was a lovely little surprise to see you in my feed reader! glad to see things are going well.