Thursday, June 23, 2005

About Last Night

Warning: I’m going on roughly 3 hours of sleep after what can only be described as “The night that Kendra desperately tried to relive her youth only to be confronted with the realization that she is indeed, not a youth.” This post will likely be a mess and all-over the place so bear with me.

I took a vacation day yesterday because my friend Jim was in town this week for his brother’s wedding this Saturday. I met Jimmy my freshman year of college and he is easily one of the greatest guys I’ve ever known. He’s seen the good, the bad and the ugly of me and yet after 11 years, he still loves me. This is no small task as I can be a handful at times so I must give him props. He’s like the big brother I never had and I know that no matter how much time passes between our visits, we will be friends for the rest of our lives. Now that I’ve gotten the requisite KC cheesy sentiment out of the way let’s get on to the good stuff, shall we?

Jimmy and I spent the day playing in Denver which included a trip to the Cherry Cricket for a Cricket burger – quite possibly the best burgers anywhere. Ever. After that, we headed to the Highlands neighborhood for ice cream at Heidi’s and then some wandering around the shops. Then we went and looked at the houses that I love in that neighborhood and even one that I think I may go take a look at soon. Sidebar: House shopping with a boy is funny. It went a little something like this…
KC: I love this one!
Jimmy: I’m not so sure about the foundation. Look at the bricks on the porch.
KC: Aren’t the shutters darling? And I love the flower beds.
Jimmy: I’m serious, that foundation could be a problem.
KC: Ohhhhhh, did you see the porch swing? That’s so cute!
Jimmy: It won’t be cute when it’s in a pile of rubble because of that crappy foundation.
KC: And did you see the big tree in the backyard? Barley would have a great time taking naps under that tree.
Jimmy:*sigh*

For the record, I did hear everything he was saying and yes, the foundation was craptastic on that house. But I really love the area and cannot wait to move down there!

Later that afternoon, my office was having a happy hour and I was told I should make an appearance. It actually ended up being a lot of fun and Jim’s cousin, John, met us there for a few drinks.

After that, we headed to the roof of the Morrison Inn for Mexican and margaritas where we met Rosie, Meghan, Katie and Jim’s brother, Bill. Jimmy and John both ordered the 32 oz. Margarita’s and because one wasn’t enough, they each ended up consuming 64 oz of the house margs. The rest of the girls left after dinner but since I was the hostess and Jimmy and Bill were staying with me, I couldn’t exactly go home. So, we then hit my favorite dive bar where we played both pool and Ms. Pac Man. I’m pretty sure a circus chimp could play better pool than I played last night. But you know what I rock at? Jukebox! Ok, so it’s not a game but I put together a mean mix…
1) Dave Matthews – Two Step
2) Otis Redding – Try a Little Tenderness
3) Led Zeppelin – Ramble On
4) Kid Rock - Cowboy
5) Cake – Sheep Go to Heaven
6) John Mellencamp – Small Town
7) Frank Sinatra – Luck Be a Lady
8) Stevie Wonder – For Once in My Life
9) Ben Folds Five – Song for the Dumped
10) Jay Z – 99 Problems
11) Bob Dylan – Shelter from Storm
12) Aerosmith –Sweet Emotion
13) Janis Joplin – Me & Bobby McGee

I know there were more, but that’s what I remember. Somewhere around 1 a.m. the boys decided that we should go to a different establishment. All I’ll say is that it would not have been my first choice but the night wasn’t really about me so I went. Also, I was the only sober person in our little party so I was the driver. It ended up being pretty funny and I was surprised to see I wasn’t the only fully-clothed girl in that place. Actually, there were quite a few girls in the audience and a ton of seedy, middle-aged men. But I suppose that those places are basically built for men like that. As we were walking in, the dj came on the loud speaker and said, “Kendra, please report to booth 7 for a lap dance. Kendra, booth 7 for a lap dance.” You can imagine the response from the boys.

I believe it was roughly 3:30am when my head finally hit the pillow. That was after covering Bill with a blanket after he passed out on my couch and getting Jimmy and John to the guest room. As I curled up in bed, I could hear John tell Jim, “That girl rocks. I can’t believe she drove our drunk asses around, went to the strip club and then let us crash at her house. And not to be a chick, but these sheet smell really good and are so soft!”

I actually fell asleep laughing.

====================================================================

And for Cheryl…
Six Songs of the Moment
1) Follow Through – Gavin DeGraw
2) Dreams – Game
3) First Day of My Life- Bright Eyes
4) Collide – Howie Day (current fave)

5) Hollaback Girl – Gwen Stefani
6) Sunday Morning - Maroon 5

I tag Becki, Beth,Amber and Kristina.

4 comments:

AvR said...

Your night sounds like it was lovely, and how much fun it is to have such an evening with friends. The 64 ounces of Margarita remind me of an old saying "you don't buy Tequila, you just borrow it for awhile"---meaning of course your buddies must have been to the john a hundred times.

I'm glad you enjoy my blog, and gladder still that you posted a comment. Why would you be afraid? Silly-silly! ....although, now as I sit here recalling the first time I commented, I was afraid that instead of being relevant or interesting, I would just come off sounding like a nerd. Thankfully the sensation passed.

Yours sincerely, Ari

BB said...

Sounds like you're better at observing the marg drinking rather than participating (as showb by previous blogs of post-margarita trauma). Well done! How were the boys in the morning?

KC said...

Ari - see your blog. :)

Becki - Tequila + KC = humiliation
Margs are a spectator sport for me.

Jed - clearly you've never seen me on Rio margs (see the entry entitled Things for Which I'm too Damn Old). Either that or your the bravest man ever. For your own safety, buy me a drink anywhere but there! :) Also, Ms. Pacman can be found at the Holliday Inn (not seedy hotel but dive bar in Morrison).

KC said...

Foolishness, indeed... :)
See your email.