Saturday, December 31, 2005

Circle of Friends

If you've been reading Just Me for any amount of time, you know how much I love my friends. I’ve gone on and on about them and how wonderful they all are. I am so blessed with the people who make up my DNA-free family and I wouldn’t be the same person without each and every one of them. That’s why I write about them so much.

But I realized that I was neglecting a new and very important group of friends so I thought I’d give a little end-of-the-year love to my fellow bloggers.

These are the people I read everyday, without fail. I feel so lucky to have found these people and consider each and every one of them a friend. And any time a girl can make new friends, it’s a good thing.

So before I head off to ring in 2006, I wanted to write about the friends I made in 2005. In no particular order, here are the reasons why I heart my fellow bloggers…

Anisa – I’m not sure how I came across her blog but she has such an honesty that I was hooked from day one. Every time her husband comments on her blog I let out a big old “Awwwwwww!” because it’s always so sweet. She loves US Weekly as much as I do and that makes me love her. I recently found out that she’s a *clears throat* Yankees fan but I can get past it because I enjoy her writing so much.

Ed – 'Best I Can Tell...' is a recent addition to my Favorites. He recently commented on my blog, which of course, made me check his out. If you’d like a dose of adorableness, check out his son. When I found out that Ed was raising his boy as a Yankee hater, his stock skyrocketed with me. His sarcasm and humor are priceless and without knowing him well, I just know that he's a guy who sticks to his guns...and I respect that.

Ari – With all due respect to everyone else on this list, Ari is, in my humble opinion, the most talented writer I’ve come across in blogland. His wit and intelligence never cease to amaze me and I find myself getting lost in his writing. His posts about his home are some of my favorites as they feel like mini vacations. And every time he writes his on-going series “Homewrecker” I laugh until I cry.

Rico – Reading about his relationship with The One makes me hold out hope for real love. His comments on my blog have always made me laugh and his Chuck Norris posts are classic. He adores his daughter, his family, his girl and he isn't afraid to be open about it. I can’t wait to read about the wedding preparations next year.

Dasi - She's like the world's greatest cheerleader. She's always got a word of encouragement, no matter what's going on in my life. If I'm feeling blue, she'll say something that cheers me up. If something wonderful happens, she is always there to congratulate me. When I decided it was time to get back on the dating horse, she was there to cheer me on. She also cracks me up with her stories - Mr. Southside may be my fave.

Marissa – There are times when it feels as though we are leading parallel lives because we have so much in common. At least once a week one of us will comment on the other’s blog with words like, “Please file under how Kendra and Marissa are alike…” or “I’m the EXACT same way!” or “I’m totally going through the same thing…”. I feel lucky that I get to live vicariously through her as she finds her way through life in NYC. I can only hope that 2006 will allow us to dance on more tables together.

Jill – Talented Writer, party of one? Your table is now ready. This girl can write and wins big points for creativity. Read her “Same as I Ever Was” post and you’ll see what I mean. I get a kick out of the fact that this amazing writer who lives in an exciting city like NYC would sit down and read a blog by a girl who has no real talent for writing and has nothing really exciting to say. But I love that she does it.

Milady – When I was little I saw 'The Sound of Music' and really wanted Julie Andrews to be my nanny. That never happened but I do feel like I have a British caretaker these days in Milady. It doesn’t matter what I write about, Milady always has a kind word or witty remark. She has a warm, caring, huge heart and I think the world of her. I also love the stories of her family and I LOVE that Sir Hubby writes for her sometimes.

Tim – He’ll tell you he’s a ninja but I think survivor is a better way to describe him. He’s got an honesty and rawness that I admire. Very few people have the courage to put it all out there the way he does. Read anything he’s ever written about his daughter and you’ll know he’s got his priorities straight. On top of everything, he’s funny as hell and I do have a soft spot for the witty.

Amanda – Some people (me) write about their lives by simply regurgitating facts. Amanda tells a story. The post she wrote on her birthday was one of my favorites because I just “got it”. Her birthday is two weeks before mine and I remember reading that post thinking, “This girl took the words right out of my mouth!” It’s pretty cool when that happens.

Cheryl – Her observations on life crack me up! She recently wrote about “Beermuffs” and I sat there laughing my ass off and also thinking, “Why didn’t I think of that?” There’s been more than one occasion where I’ve started a post about a topic and before I can finish it, Cheryl will have written about the exact same thing. It’s freaked me out a time or two! Next time I’m in Chicago, I’ll be kidnapping her for some Michigan Ave. shopping!

Sass – If you’re not reading this girl, you should be. I totally wish Houston wasn’t so far from Denver because I just know Jessica and I would have a good time going out. Some of her comments on my blog almost make it seem like she knows me because she’s so insightful. We’re roughly the same age and yet I think of her as my older, wiser and much cooler friend. She's an old soul and wise beyond her years.

Thomas – What can I say about Thomas? I hate, hate, HATE politics and yet I read his blog all the time. Anyone who can have me reading about politics must be a talented writer. Had someone as funny as Thomas gone to law school while I was there, I might have stayed a while longer. Also, he drives up my comments because with any given post, Thomas might comment two or three times and that makes me feel so popular.


So to all of you, I say Thank You. Thank you for reading, commenting and being the amazing people you are. You’ve made me laugh and cry; think and rethink; hope and dream; respect and admire. I don’t think you all know what your comments mean. And I really don’t think you know how excited I am every morning as I sit down in front of my computer with a cup of coffee in hand to read about your lives.

I feel lucky to know all of you.

11 comments:

Marissa said...

This is SO, so nice Kendra! I feel the same way - every morning I get so excited to read your blog and find out what's going on in your world; I've grown to care so much about you and your life! When I started blogging, I did so for the sole purpose of practicing my writing. Never did I realize how much more my blog would be for me -during a time when I gave up a lot of "toxic friends" and was feeling bitterly lonely, this blog has introduced me to a wonderful group of people who I've come to care about just as dearly (if not more) than the friends I see every day. And suddenly, I don't feel so alone anymore. :)

I can't wait to continue sharing our adventures with each other in 2006!!

Miladysa said...

*Wiping a tear from my eye*

Thank YOU!

Wait until I tell Sir Hubby :)

I love reading your blog Kendra!

XXX

Sass said...

Kendra,
I first read this right before i left the house N.Y.E. I almost had to redo my makeup b/c it was so sweet. Kendra - i think you deserve the blogosphere's sweetheart award.

If you saw some of the shenanigans i pull on a daily basis you wouldn't think i was that cool. For instance, I just spent an hour at Circuit City looking at printers and scanners. At some point i decided i might as well get one that is a fax machine as well. Half an hour later i finally realized, hey dumbass 5 don't have a home phone line. Brillant right?

AvR said...

I think everyone on the list is grateful to know you as well. And I second Marissa---I started out writing as a form of therapy, with very halting, almost hesitant first entries---but the greatest benefit of my therapy is to read you as well. If I could send a kiss, I would.

Okie said...

Aren't you a sweetheart. Thanks. I look forward to getting to know you better in this new year.

Cheryl said...

Kendra you are such a sweetheart! I want to say thanks to you for reading my blog and for writing yours. I look forward to seeing what you have to say each day. Here's to another year of getting to know each other, and possible shopping on Michigan Avenue!

Anisa said...

kendra, you are the best!!! this has made my day!!!! :)

dasi said...

Awwww, Kendra – you’re so sweet!! You know darn well I heart you too – and I’m glad you enjoyed Mr. Southside. Almost makes me wish he was still around to write about. (I said ALMOST!!!!!) And thanks for giving me other blogs to check out too… have to get right on that one!

Happy New Year!!

JillWrites said...

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry I'm like a week behind in my reading, because I would have written a lengthy comment the second I saw this post. Thank you so much for your kind words, Kendra! I think you are awesome and I want you to be my friend! I love reading through your posts and feeling your optimism. Your "You & Me" post is one of the most honest and brave and beautiful things that I've read and it made me wish I was brave enough to write about my hopes and dreams like that. You really inspired me. After I read that, I wanted to start making a list, but I wanted to first make sure I kept reading everything I hadn't gotten to yet. Sure glad I did! Happy New Year, Kendra, and best wishes for all the best in 2006. I'm glad to have found you, too!

Tim Hillegonds said...

KC, I never got a chance to thank you for the nice things you said about me. So...thanks.

Tim Hillegonds said...

KC, I never got a chance to thank you for the nice things you said about me. So...thanks.