Monday, February 06, 2006

...and all the roads we have to walk are winding...

He smiles as she walks into the restaurant and gives her a hug. She loves that he gives strong, warm hugs.

She takes a bite of her seared ahi and he leans over and takes a bite too. She doesn’t mind. He slides his bowl of gumbo towards her and offers her a bite…just like she knew he would.

He listens as she talks about her amazing new Kitchen-Aid mixer. She’s tickled pink that he gets why she’s so excited about it.

She sips her martini as he mentions fly-fishing in the spring. He laughs when she asks if she can get waders because he knows her love of shoes.

He describes seeing her a few years ago and the impression she made. She watches his eyes as he talks about seeing her as a “grown up”.

She laughs at the crazy guy sitting next to them. He points out the fact that the crazy guy is using an Altoids tin for a wallet.

He mentions “it” just once and she tries to hide any emotion. She's still amazed at her own ability to cover up how she really feels.


She wonders when life got so complicated and why things never seem to be simple anymore. He reaches over, touches her hand and for just a moment, she forgets the rest.

13 comments:

Laura said...

Heeellooooooooooooo, now doesn't that sound fresh! And fun. I like "him". You still need to tell me what your idea is! :)

Marissa said...

I love this!! I am so happy for you right now...things seem to be going just as they should be. :)

Tim Hillegonds said...

That was nice and just enough to make me jeolous. Complicated, simple, I think it's a mix of the two.

Whinger said...

Excellent.
Oh, and proud that you managed to put up a blogroll - just noticed it. :)

KatieDid It said...

I love the newness of it all and the realizations that you're reading from the same page.

Miladysa said...

"There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
I don't know how "

Beautiful post.

x

Cheryl said...

Excellent post. I am very happy for you...is he your wonderwall? Or are you his?

KC said...

La - will call you with my plan soon. :)
Marissa - Thanks!
Tim - "Complicated, simple, I think it's a mix of the two." You nailed it with that line.
Whinger - I cannot take credit for the blogroll...Ginger did it.
Kate - I'm just happy we're reading from the same book! I've had situations where I'm pretty sure the guy didn't even know how to read...but not this time. :)
Miladysa - Your line from that song pretty much sums up exactly how I'm feeling these days. :)
Cheryl - I guess we'll just have to see...

Sass said...

I love this one Kendra!!!

We talked about this - you being in my head.

Bird On A Line said...

Hi Kendra,

Thanks for visiting me and commenting!
I love your writing. :)

KC said...

Sass- Great minds....
Victoria Winters - Thanks! :)

JillWrites said...

I am so with you on this one. Great post, KC! And I loooooove that song.

KC said...

Jill - I love that song too...and damn if it just doesn't fit my life right now.