Monday, August 14, 2006

I Am Not Ashamed...Though I Probably Should Be

I figured I would have to go by myself. I figured I would just pull my baseball cap down really low on my head and hope that no one realized I was 30 years old. I figured it would have to be my dirty little secret.

I was wrong. It turned out that I had a friend who wanted to go just as badly. Suddenly, I wasn't nearly as embarassed because she was just as excited to go as I was. And so on Sunday after a trip to the farmers market for some shopping and brunch, we did it.

We saw "Step Up".

And it was sooooooooooooo good. I had been jonesing for a dance movie for a while. I mean, come on, how long ago had "Save the Last Dance" come out? I needed to see the trials and tribulations of a relationship which can only be saved by dancing and hip hop. I needed the teen angst that can only be resolved by shaking what your momma gave you.

As is standard with this genre, the dialog was lacking and the ending was obvious. But the music was perfect and the dancing was fantastic.

Oh, and Channing Tatum?

Gimme an H!
Gimme an O!
Gimme a T!

What's that spell? Channing!!! Not since the first time I saw Jake Ryan on the silver screen have I swooned over a man on film. (Sidebar: Ok, so there was that scene in Thelma and Louise when Brad Pitt hovered over Geena Davis with his devilish smile and unbelieveable six-pack. That was pretty good too. Sidebar to the sidebar: So if you're a girl reading this you're smiling just a little remembering those two men. If you're a guy, you're mostly likely just rolling your eyes. And you know what? I don't care because COME ON, I'm talking about Jake Ryan for the love of all that is holy.)

Ok, so Channing. Yes, he is divine to gaze upon. I mean, honestly, Molly and I were so obnoxious with our giggling and sighing every time he was in a scene. So yes, I did enjoy looking at him. Come to think of it, the whole movie could have just been 2 hours of him working on a crossword puzzle and I would have happily watched. But it got even better because he can dance. I mean, he can really dance. And even just thinking about how well he could dance has got me swooning with reckless abandon over here.

Wait. What?

Oh yeah, dancing. Ok, so I've always enjoyed men who can dance. I'm a firm believer that men become exponentially hotter when they can dance. Well I didn't think it was possible for Mr. Tatum to get any hotter, but he did. And if all of that wasn't enough, he wore a baseball cap backwards for the big finale (hope I didn't spoil it for anyone) and I do love a boy in a baseball cap.

Nutshell Review: The movie was good, the music was great and Channing was...oh, there just aren't words to do him justice.

So if anyone wants to see it, I could be talked in to going again...so long as you're ok with me uttering phrases like, "I Kendra, take you Channing..." every time he's on the screen.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Backwards baseball cap? Say no more. I may be 30, I may no longer date fraternity boys, but I'm sorry. I just have a thing for backwards baseball caps. And also hot guys who can dance. Here's where'd I'd make a pun about stepping up, but I'll stop. Mmmmmm. Backwards baseball cap...

BB said...

I can't believe you saw this before I did.

Marissa said...

you KNOW im dying to see this movie! i was supposed to go last night, but didn't. im DYING to go!