Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Resolve

Happy 2007 all! I don't know about the rest of you but I'm damn happy 2006 is over because it was not one of my favorite years. Actually, it was the hardest one of my life. If someone would have told me on 12/31/05 that 2006 was going to be the year it turned out to be I wouldn't have believed I could make it through it all. But you know what? I did make it through it all. And I learned that I have resevoirs of strength I never knew I had....and boy did I draw on them last year. I'm hoping I won't have to do that quite so much this year.

And speaking of this year, let's talk about what I DO want. I'm not sure if these qualify as resolutions or goals or just desires but really any excuse to make a list is ok by me...

1. Get more sleep. Now that my sleep patterns are a bit more regular, I'm totally in love with sleep. There are nights when I crawl into bed, let out a big sigh and say aloud, "We really should spend more time together." And when I say that I'm not speaking to some new hottie in my life, I'm actually speaking to the bed. Yes, I'm a bit crazy but if you knew how bad the insomnia had been, you would understand.

2. Work on my spirituality. I'm not sure if that means church or something else but I feel like I've neglected that part of me for a while and I think I could use some faith these days.

3. Treat myself to flowers on a regular basis.

4. Be mindful of the fact that I am the only person who has to take care of me. I think I learned this in 2006 but sometimes I forget to take care of myself and nothing good ever comes from that. Ever.

5. Eat more French toast.

6. Write more letters and fewer emails.

7. Start volunteering for an organization I believe in.

8. Take a photography class.

9. Get kissed really well. And really often.

10. Travel. I noticed that my passport expires in '08 and it needs more stamps.

11. "Keep up the good work." This is what I whisper to myself when my alarm goes off at 5:15am before work. I try to hit the gym at 5:30am and it's made a difference - I am more than 20lbs lighter than I was last year at this time. It's amazing how a physical change can have such a huge impact on your emotional well-being. And it doesn't hurt when a friend tells you how hot your ass looks in a pair of jeans.

12. Worry less. Half the crap I worry about never occurs; it's the things I don't think about that bite me in the ass. Either way, worrying has never made things better. And I'm pretty sure that line on my forehead is from all of my worrying.

13. Microderm abrasion for that line on my forehead.

14. More bendy straws. I know I've mentioned this a million times before but bendy straws just make so stupidly happy.

15. Read more. Anyone have any recommedations?


I think that's enough to get the year started off right. What about you guys? Any resolutions you want to share with your pal, KC?

7 comments:

Laura said...

all good! yay, 2007.

recommendation: The History of Love by Nicholas Krauss (favorite from last year)

Laura said...

oh, and i hear you on the sleep. isn't it amazing how lovely it is?

Bird On A Line said...

Dude. I LOVE your list. Can I steal it?

KC said...

Laura - I got an Amazon gift cert for xmas so I'll have to get that book. Thanks!
Vic - Of course you can steal it - not like you need a photography class though as you are already quite skilled with a camera! :)

Eddie said...

To more French toast! Salud!

Cheryl said...

Anytime you need a book recommendation you can always check out what I'm reading on my blog...

I need to do #12 too...and #9...ok #2 also.

Marissa said...

i agree--2006 was not so great. let's hope 2007 is OUR year (or, rather, let's make it our year!!). i like the travel and get kissed really well (and often) ideas. i'm with you on both.