Thursday, May 21, 2009

Slowly Losing My Mind

I've spent the last two days at the new house getting things ready before the big move on Saturday. Tuesday, my sisters and their boyfriends came over and helped me paint which was a huge help. We managed to get the horrible pink and red walls (uh, they were SO bad!) covered with a lovely, more neutral shade. The bad part was, we had to clean for nearly 3 hours to get all of the grime off the floors and walls. I evidently bought a house from the filthiest couple on the planet. The hardwoods had so much junk on them and the walls had a layer of...I don't even know the word...dust/dog hair/dirt/bleeeeeeeeeeeech that we spent forever just wiping them down. Also, the world's dirtiest couple took the shower head in the bathroom. If the phrase you're uttering right now is "WTF?" well then you and I are on the same page. And I won't even tell you how bad the kitchen was because it would only give you nightmares. Thankfully I have a wonderful family who has continued to help out despite my several breakdowns. Here are the following things that have sent me into a tailsping in the last couple of days...

1. General unsanitary condition new house was in upon my arrival.

2. Picking paint colors for the bedrooms.

3. Finding out that the house doesn't have a 220 line in the basement for my electric dryer so I either have to a) buy a gas dryer or b) have a new line run.

4. Giant hole in the fence that allows neighbors tiny dog to come over in my yard and relieve himeself whenever he needs to.

5. Busted p-trap under the kitchen sink that caused lots of water to spray all over the damn place.

6. Ants. Lots of 'em.

7. When I spilled a great deal of paint on the hardwoods.

8. Barley getting out of the backyard and doing a tour of North Denver last night.

So the last one put me in such a state of panic that I was driving around in tears asking people if they'd seen a brown dog. Acutally, I was yelling it out the window while bawling hysterically. Thankfully, my aunt and uncle came over to aid in the search and they found him a few blocks away, romping in an alley. I was so happy to see him that I only called him a rat bastard twice. And then I hugged him and cried into his brown fur. It was all very touching.

So now I have to run up to Home Depot and pick up more paint because despite the fact that the paint guy assured me that one gallon would cover the room when I gave him the dimensions, it in fact, did not. And later today I will deal with Comcast and the moving of the cable, phone and internet. That should be one hell of a good time.

Perhaps the next time you hear from me it will be of a happier nature...the liquor cabinet should be unpacked by then.

3 comments:

Anisa said...

ew...the grossness sounds awful.

BUT it is going to fabulous! and so happy the brown dog is back. i once lost matty on a tour d'neighborhood and i ran around in sweats and pink shoes squalling as well. they're our kids!!

Cheryl said...

Oh dear. And here I am houding you...Hang inthere. Think of the end product and how it will all be SO worth it at that point. And I am upping my opinion of the former owners from flakey to WTF?!

Beth said...

Barley just wanted to get the lay of the land, I'm sure. :) And your sisters are gems for helping you clean.

3. I'm guessing, depending on where your circuit box is, that it's cheaper to run a 220 line. It should take an electrician less than half a day.

7. Painter's Pal or the spray Goo Gone, usually in the paint aisle, will take this right off.

It gets better! Love you!