Friday, December 30, 2011

Year in Review - 2011

1. What did you do in 2011 that you've never done before?
Vacationed in Key West - rented this amazing house, went deep sea-fishing, spent a day sailing and sea-kayaking and went to my first drag show which was awesome!


2. Did you make any new year's resolutions in 2011 and will you make any for 2012?
Didn't really make any for 2011 but already working on them for 2012.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth this year?
Becki brought Miss Anisley Rae to the world and Lisa had baby Holden.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. I'm so thankful for that.

5. What countries did you visit?
No other countries in 2011. I miss international travel a lot.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't have in 2011?
Self discipline when it comes to food and fitness.

7. What dates from 2011 are etched in your memory and why?
October 1 - my sister got married.

8. What is your biggest achievement?
My garden this summer! Tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, jalepenos, strawberries and raspberries. There is something to be said for cooking with food you grew yourself.

9. What is your biggest failure?
My dating life sure wasn't pretty this year.

10. Did you suffer any illness or injury?
Started the year sicker than a dog with a stupid cold that turned into bronchitis and a double ear infection. And the worst allergies I've had in my life.

11. What is the best thing you bought?
My new bed. I've had 4 beds in the last 5 years...because I am the Princess & The Pea. But the search is over because this one is magic.

12. Whose behavior merited celebrations?
Gabby Gifford and Mark Kelly. I'm so inspired every time I read about them.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Anthony Weiner and Herman Cain for obvious reason.

14. Where did most of your money go?
The bungalow.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?
Key West trip, my cousin Bradley's wedding, going to Adele's concert, two week at-home vacation at Christmas.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?


17. Compared to this time last year are you
a) happier or sadder? So much happier.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same. (This makes
me sadder - and it has for a while)
c) richer or poorer? Richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Saved money

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Letting other people's drama become my own.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve is big with my family and everyone was at my house for dinner and presents. Christmas day was spent relaxing with the fam and then fondue dinner with my bestie.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
No...in fact I became more cynical about dating because, good Lord, I had some awful dates.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Modern Family. I crack up every single time I watch that show.

23. Do you hate anyone that you didn't hate last year?
Hate isn't really my thing, so no.

24. What was the best book you read?
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"Discovery" seems a bit much as I rarely take credits for musical discoveries but here's what I liked this year:
"Someone Like You" - Adele ~ So I bought her album the day it came out because I've been a super-fan since 2008 when I first heard her sing. Anyway, I downloaded '21' first thing in the morning and listened on my way into work. Heard "Someone Like You" as I was pulling into the parking lot at work and just sat there and listened to it about 3 more times. If this were the old days and I had an actual album or tape of '21' I would have worn it out. The entire album is perfection.
"Stereo Hearts" - Gym Class Heros ~ It's just so catchy. And reminds me of driving through Chicago with my cousin Bradley. We were completely lost but didn't mind as we belted this one out.
"No Church in the Wild" - Kayne West & Jay-Z ~ So 'Watch the Throne' would be my number 2 album of 2011. So great. This song is hypnotic and perfect for running; just gets me in the zone.
"Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj ~ Can't you hear that boom badoom boom badoom boom bass?
"These Days" - Foo Fighters ~ I love Foo Fighters so much. In the movie of my life, a lot of their music has been on the soundtrack.
"Firework" - Katy Perry ~ I can get on board with a song that has such a positive message. Plus, it's just pop at it's finest.
"You & I" - Lady Gaga ~ I was in Nebraska several times in 2011 and I always blast this song while driving.
"Pumped up Kicks" - Foster the People ~ This song makes me want drive in the mountains with the windows rolled down.

26. What did you want and get?
My iPad!

27. What did you want and not get?
A new front porch.

28. Favorite film of the year?
I like lists instead of just picking one:
Moneyball
The Muppets
Bridesmaids
The Help

29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
BBQ with friends and family. This was my 35th year.

30. What one thing would have made you immeasurably more happy?
Getting my weight under control.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
The mid-30's slump. I seem to wear the same few outfits all the time.

32. What kept you sane?
Getting more sleep, book club nights with my girls, using all of my vacation time this year.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most in 2011?
So I realize as a Denver girl, I should be saying Tebow and he's cute and all but Aaron Rodgers is my idea of eye-candy. He's so scruffy and manly and...yum.

34. Which political issue stirred you the most?
The Arab Spring.

35. Who did you miss?
My sisters. Nasty fall out in January left us in radio silence for over six months. It was stupid and awful and though it seems to be over now, it still makes me so sad that we wasted that time.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't meet anyone who really blew my hair back this year.

37. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2011.
Resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long
Where do I begin?
Learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough
But where do I begin?"
- Foo Fighters 'Walk'

2 comments:

hello haha narf said...

happy 2012! may it be magnificent!

Beth said...

So bummed we didn't all get to read about the horrible dates...I mean, bummed that you had them.