Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Awkward Pharmaceutical Moments

So I ran into Walgreens today to pick up a few things including Emergen-C. I've been so paranoid about getting sick before vacation that I thought I'd get some and load up. I wandered the aisles looking but couldn't find it anywhere. After five minutes of searching, I walked back to the pharmacy to ask if they stocked it.

"Oh yes, we carry it," the pharmacist whispered. "I'll just need your driver's licence."

A bit confused I just stood there for a moment and then fished around my purse to retrieve my licence. I concluded that Emergen-C must have an ingredient that was critical in meth formulas and so like many cold medicines it had been moved behind the counter and purchases were tracked via driver's license. (Sidebar: If anyone ever had concerns that I would try to run a meth lab I'm quite certain that last line squelched any worries.) Anyway, I as I looked up with my license in hand I saw the pharmacist holding this...

I laughed a little and repeated the word "Emergen-C" again. The pharmacist realized her mistake and with a look of total horror on her face began to apologize for the misunderstanding.

"That's ok. But the only thing I really need to prevent right now is a cold."

I giggled the whole way home.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

haha! I feel this could only happen to you...if not me! Hilarious. And I love your response.

Whinger said...

Nice. I wondered if maybe they were hoarding the Emergen-C from underage children so that the rest of us can't get sick as it doesn't matter as much if they miss school and stuff.